Default column formats

  1. #1
    Zorkfob
    Guest

    Hello, How can I change the default column formats for all opened and new
    books. EG: Format of column's 1, and 3 are general, and column's 2,5,6 are
    currency
    --
    Keith Miller

  2. #2
    Guest

    hi,
    can't to that.
    but sounds like you are using the format a lot.
    set a blank wb to this format. when you need a new wb with
    this format, call this one. when you save it, do file save
    as and give it a different name. this way you will always
    have a wb set to this format.

  3. #3
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    RE: Default column formats

    Yes, I believe you can do it. It has something to do with the FUNCRES.XLA
    file. I'm checking into it now, but I someone will likely have the answer
    before me.

    Connie Martin

  4. #4
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    RE: Default column formats

    Yes, you can do it. I thought it has something to do with the funcres.xla
    file but that's the file that opens Excel. Anyway, follow these instructions
    found in Help and it will work. I did it myself one time. Please note: You
    may need to do a search on your PC to find out where the XLStart folder is,
    and which one is the correct one.
    ********

    Create a workbook that contains one worksheet. On the worksheet, include the
    formatting, styles, text, and other information you want to appear on all new
    sheets of the same type.

    On the File menu, click Save As.

    In the Save as type box, click Template (*.xlt).

    In the Save in box, select the folder where you want to store the template.
    To create the default worksheet template, select either the XLStart folder
    or the alternate startup folder. The XLStart folder is usually
    C:\os\Profiles\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart
    where os is the operating system folder — for example, Windows.

    To create a custom sheet template, select the Templates folder, which is
    usually
    C:\os\Profiles\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    where os is the operating system folder — for example, Windows.

    In the File name box, type sheet to create a template for default worksheets.
    To create a custom sheet template, type any valid file name.

    Click Save, and then click Close on the File menu.

    Good Luck!
    Connie Martin

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Default column formats

    Connie

    Infomation only.

    FUNCRES.XLA does not open Excel

    FUNCRES.XLA will open when you have the Analysis ToolPak add-in loading
    through Tools>Add-ins.

    SHEET.XLT should go into XLSTART folder and it becomes the default
    Insert>Worksheet.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    Re: Default column formats

    I wrote that statement in a hurry (end of the day and I wanted to get
    going!). I realize that it's the .exe files that open programs. And I got
    mixed up in my memory of having customized Excel one time with something else
    concerning funcres.xla. I was rather muddled, eh? Or should I say, "huh?"

    Thanks for clarifying it.

    Connie Martin