Desperate I know I asked before

  1. #1
    jenkinspat
    Guest

    Desperate I know I asked before

    Looking for the excel god that can tell me Im an ideot and that this
    isn't as hard as I'm making it. If its possiable at all. Ill try to
    explain.
    I work in Oil Exploration and we have whats called a recorder that
    tests our euipment on the ground and produces test results every time a
    test is run. When the tests are done it creates an excel workbook with
    the results. The generated workbook layout is exactly the same, the
    only difference is the file name that is created when produced. What i
    do is keep these workbooks and extract certain data out of them and
    compile a tracking log in another workbook. The only problem is that my
    kindergarden code requires me to rename the file before i can run it.

    My goal is:
    To achive the generated report in a certain folder leaving the
    generated name the same but be able to open any given file and run the
    clean up and extract code without the user having to rename it all the
    time.
    I know i babbling but this has been a thorn in by kaboos for months.
    ANY idea or alternates would be worth a zillion cyber dollars LOL.

    Current code is----
    Im using simple Excel code in a Module attached to a button

    -----
    Sub ExtractLatData()
    '
    '

    Sheets("stby").Select
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    ChDir "C:\Pt23 Spread"
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Pt23 Spread\sensor.xls"
    Sheets("RSR Summary").Select
    Rows("1:14").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
    Columns("A:A").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("A:L").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False

    ActiveWindow.Close
    Sheets("RSR Report Data (Errors)").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Sheets("Control").Select
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    MsgBox " Finished, Exit EXCEL and open the ACCESS file to view Report
    "
    End Sub
    -------
    The sensor file name is named different every day and the user has to
    change the name before running the code. Of course half of them forget
    to. The file contents of the file are the same except the changes for
    the test data so it just the (set) name im trying to make easier.
    Or maby a code that will change the name for them, maby.

    Thank you............
    Pat

    --
    jenkinspat

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Desperate I know I asked before

    Pat

    You should be able to just get the workbook name like so

    Sub ExtractLatData()
    '
    '
    Dim sWbName as String