wHY WON'T MOST DOWNLOADED .XLS FILES OPEN IN VERSION 5.0 ?

  1. #1
    Al the Elder
    Guest

    wHY WON'T MOST DOWNLOADED .XLS FILES OPEN IN VERSION 5.0 ?

    I am still using Excel Version 5.0. (Ha-Ha) When I try to open a .XLS file
    from a Website, I get an error message reading something like: "not a valid
    ..xls file"

    Is this because 5.0 is so old, or is there another issue here? How can I
    deal with this?

    Thank you.

  2. #2

    Re: wHY WON'T MOST DOWNLOADED .XLS FILES OPEN IN VERSION 5.0 ?

    When xl97 was released, the format of the .xls files changed. xl97 (and above)
    can read those old file versions, but that old version can't read the newer
    files.

    Time to visit eBay (xl2k should be available/cheap)????

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: wHY WON'T MOST DOWNLOADED .XLS FILES OPEN IN VERSION 5.0 ?

    You would have to have the file saved for you as an Excel 5 file. using
    File, Save As in the later Excel version.

    If you have no control and don't want to update, AND you don't need
    macros you can open the file with Open Office (I think it's about 72MB download
    when you count all the parts you need) and then
    I think you can save the file as Excel 5 from there with Save As (see links in)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm

    Open Office is free Open Source project nothing to do with Microsoft,

    ---
    HTH,