Drop down menu-short list the menu

  1. #1
    Ron
    Guest

    Drop down menu-short list the menu

    Is is possible when you have a drop down menu, to have excel short list the
    menu as you type in more charcaters of the text. For example a have a list
    of several hundred customers. I start inputting the first few letters of the
    customers name, I would like that list of several hundred to be shortened to
    only include thaise customers that begin with the letters I have typed in.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    re: Drop down menu-short list the menu

    Think this previous post by Debra Dalgleish would be of help:

    "Although data validation doesn't support autocomplete, there's a sample
    file here that provides a combobox from which you can select one of the
    values from the data validation list. In the combobox, you can enable
    autocomplete:
    Under 'Data Validation', look for 'Data Validation Combobox' "

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron
    Guest

    re: Drop down menu-short list the menu

    I was succesful in adding a combo box but could not get it to work properly.
    When I double click it does not show the drop down menu. Is there an easy
    was to copy the example from Debra into my spreadsheet. What changes doI
    need to make?

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    re: Drop down menu-short list the menu

    Ron

    Assuming you have Debra's workbook loaded and active.

    A single-click will show the Data Validation drop-down list to choose from.

    This is built in the normal DV steps.

    The combo box you build from scratch so you have both in the same cell.

    A double-click will allow you to start typing in the box and autocomplete will
    take over.

    After you double-click you will also see a smaller inner arrow that you
    single-click on to get the drop-down list.

    Kind of a 3-way operation with your choice of options.

    To make changes, right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code".

    You make any changes there to the code to reflect your ranges to work upon.

    Copy the whole thing to a new workbook and start from there.

    Follow Debra's on-screen instructions to change Combo Box settings.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP