Refer to sheet name specified in other cell

  1. #1
    Marko Pinteric
    Guest

    Refer to sheet name specified in other cell

    Referring to cells in other sheets requires sythax:
    'sheetname'!cellname. I have the situation in which sheet name is
    specified in another cell. How can I refer to cell in that sheet?

    E.g.
    A1 = "sheet1"

    A2 = "'A1'!B3" (I would like to refer to cell B3 in sheet1)

    Is that possible to do?

    Marko

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    If you type the formula in A2 as:-

    Indirect(A1&"!B3")

    This should pick up the cell value of B3 in the sheet name entered into A1

  3. #3
    Andy Brown
    Guest

    Re: Refer to sheet name specified in other cell

    "Marko Pinteric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Referring to cells in other sheets requires sythax:
    > 'sheetname'!cellname. I have the situation in which sheet name is
    > specified in another cell. How can I refer to cell in that sheet?
    > E.g.
    > A1 = "sheet1"
    > A2 = "'A1'!B3" (I would like to refer to cell B3 in sheet1)

    You can use INDIRECT for this, ie:

    =INDIRECT(A1&"!B3")

    or some variation of same.

    Rgds,
    Andy

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Refer to sheet name specified in other cell

    With A1 containing: Sheet1

    Put in A2: =INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!B3")

    A2 will return the same as: =Sheet1!B3
    --