Autocomplete question

  1. #1
    marika1981
    Guest

    Autocomplete question

    Is there any way to have Excel Autocomplete based on a range in an adjacent
    worksheet (not just on the rows above)????

    I have a worksheet with several cells using data validation drop-down to
    reference the prior worksheet, but I'd also like to have the option of typing
    in the entry and having it autocomplete based on the list from the prior
    worksheet as well.....

    Thanks!

    Marika

  2. #2

    Re: Autocomplete question

    Data|Validation doesn't work that way.

    And Autocomplete uses the cells above and below, so that won't work for you,
    either.

    But you could add a combobox from the control toolbar to the cells and make it
    so that it works the way you want.

    With the combobox selected, you can show its properties.
    Make the .ListFillRange point at that range on the other sheet.
    Make the .LinkedCell point to cell under the combobox.
    (If you format that cell with a custum format of ;;; (3 semicolons), then it
    will look like it's not there, but you can still use it in other formulas.)

    Make the .Style fmStyleDropDownList (so the user can only use values from your
    list)

    Make the .matchentry fmMatchEntryComplete (or fmMatchEntryFirstLetter--if you
    like).

  3. #3
    marika1981
    Guest

    Re: Autocomplete question

    Dear Dave,

    This is very useful, however I'm having trouble following the last two
    steps, which are the main point of my question - the .Style and .matchentry -
    where do I find those options? They weren't visible on the properties tab.

    Thanks so much for your feedback!!

    Marika

  4. #4

    Re: Autocomplete question

    First, make sure you used the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar (not the
    Forms toolbar).

    Then go into design mode (an icon also on that control toolbox toolbar). Then
    rightclick on the combobox and select properties.

    You should see it then.