Adding line breaks by using find and replace

  1. #1
    soozie
    Guest

    Adding line breaks by using find and replace

    I am trying to import data from a text file into an excel file. I want the
    address to be all in one field rather than each line being in a separate
    field. How can I replace the code ^l (or any other code) with a line break so
    that the address appears correctly in the Excel file?

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Adding line breaks by using find and replace

    Soozie,

    Are you sure you want the address fields combined? I've had to mess around
    with more applications where that had been done, in order to separate the
    address components.

    Rather than working with codes, you might want to concatenate some cells
    with a formula:
    =A2 & " " B2 & " " & C2 & ", " D2 & " " E2

    You might need to describe your data more fully to us. Give an example.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    soozie
    Guest

    Re: Adding line breaks by using find and replace

    Thanks for this Earl,

    My database has already been set up with the address in one field and it
    would be very complicated to change this now.

    I have been sent a load of data which I have formatted in Word.

    Here is an example:

    Zinc Unit U20
    Acton Business Centre
    School Rd
    Old Oak Common
    London NW10 6TD 020 8838 3636

    In order to split the data into separate fields I have placed a tab after
    the company name, manual line breaks between the address lines, a tab before
    the postcode and a tab before the telephone number. But Excel doesn't
    recognise the line breaks. So I've replaced the line breaks with commass so
    as to keep the address in one field when importing using tabs as the
    delimiters. But I then want to pull the data into Filemaker and would like to
    find a way of replacing the commas with line breaks.

    I suppose you may be right that if I put all the address lines into separate
    fields and then used a formula to join them together that might be the way to
    go, but I still can't work out how to get the line breaks in!

    Any other thoughts?

    Sue

  4. #4
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Adding line breaks by using find and replace

    Soozie,

    I'm not sure about what you're telling me about the Word file and the tabs
    and line breaks. From the top, you have a txt file, and your objective is
    to get it into Excel. Open the txt file in NotePad, and tell us what's
    there. Give us an example or two. Descriptions are often ambiguous. Then
    tell us exactly how you need it in Excel, with an example or two.