Find & Replace

  1. #1
    Pauba
    Guest

    Find & Replace

    Hello Guys:

    Excel 2000.

    I need to find a specific text, a flag (eg.: "<LineBreak>"), and replace it
    with a real manual line break . Is this something possible to do?

    Thanks,

    P.

  2. #2

    Re: Find & Replace

    You could use a little macro that searches for that string, then inserts a
    pagebreak when it finds it. (I inserted a horizontal pagebreak.)

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme01()

    Dim myStr As String
    Dim FoundCell As Range

    myStr = "<LineBreak>"

    With ActiveSheet
    Do
    Set FoundCell = .Cells.Find(what:=myStr, _
    after:=.Cells(.Cells.Count), _
    LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, _
    searchorder:=xlByRows, _
    searchdirection:=xlNext, _
    MatchCase:=False)

    If FoundCell Is Nothing Then
    Exit Do
    Else
    FoundCell.ClearContents
    If FoundCell.Row > 1 Then
    .HPageBreaks.Add before:=FoundCell

    Loop
    End With

  3. #3
    Pauba
    Guest

    Re: Find & Replace

    Hello Dave:
    That's a beginning, but I really do need a line break inside the cell. The
    ASCI-013 code (Carriage Return).
    I need to begin a new line inside the same cell.

    Thanks,

    P.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Find & Replace

    Select the cells to change, then:
    <Edit> <Replace>,
    In the "Find What" window, enter:
    <LineBreak>
    In the "Replace With" window, enter:
    <Alt>0010
    Using the numbers from the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function
    keys.
    Don't worry about not seeing anything in the "Replace" window.
    Then click "Replace All".
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Find & Replace

    Dave,
    Is page break and line break the same thing in code?<g>

    RD

  6. #6

    Re: Find & Replace

    er, it is to me.

    Thanks for posting a correct answer.

  7. #7
    Pauba
    Guest

    Re: Find & Replace

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Select the cells to change, then:
    > <Edit> <Replace>,
    > In the "Find What" window, enter:
    > <LineBreak>
    > In the "Replace With" window, enter:
    > <Alt>0010
    > Using the numbers from the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the

    function
    > keys.
    > Don't worry about not seeing anything in the "Replace" window.
    > Then click "Replace All".

    You are a genius! :-)
    That's exactly what I need! It never ocurred to me the ALT key, even
    thoug I use it in when typing inside word.
    Thank you VERY much.

    And Dave, thank you you too, but his solution is much easier...

    P.

  8. #8
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Find & Replace

    Appreciate the feed-back.

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Find & Replace

    Quite seriously Dave, do you have any idea what the heck is the difference
    between those two different sets of keys?

    Don't they both produce the same codes?

    RD

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -

  10. #10

    Re: Find & Replace

    A page break will force a new page when printed.

    A line break will force a new line within the cell.

    Alt-enter (chr(10)/vblf) is just another character in the cell.

    A long time ago, old text editors would use ctrl-L (chr(12)) to force a newpage
    in a text document. (Is that what you meant?)

  11. #11

    Re: Find & Replace

    Ragdyer's solution has the added benefit of being a correct answer to your
    question.

    My suggestion is a correct answer to a different question <vbg>.

  12. #12
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Find & Replace

    NO !<g>
    I was talking about the Num keypad as opposed to the numbers under the
    function keys producing the CHAR() characters.

    RD

    -

    _

  13. #13

    Re: Find & Replace

    I understand that pressing those keys sends a different code from the keyboard
    to the operating system.

    I don't know much more than that.