How do you tell which version of excel was used to create a workb.

  1. #1
    GeekGoddess
    Guest

    How do you tell which version of excel was used to create a workb.

    I need to know the exact version of Excel that was used to create various
    spreadsheets. How can I tell?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good afternoon GeekGoddess (just love the name...)

    Unfortunately you can't tell the EXACT XL version that created a file. You could tell roughly by using this macro in the sheet you are trying to identify:

    Sub version()
    a = ActiveWorkbook.FileFormat
    MsgBox a
    End Sub

    This will return one of four values:
    16 XL 2
    29 XL 3
    33 XL 4
    39 XL 5 / 95
    -4143 XL 97 onwards.

    Don't know if that helps you, but it's the closest you're going to get I'm afraid.

    HTH

    DominicB

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How do you tell which version of excel was used to create a workb.

    I don't think you can determine what version of Excel was used to
    create a workbook. You can determine the version that last
    calculated the workbook, and the current version, but not the
    create version.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    "GeekGoddess" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    GeekGoddess
    Guest

    Re: How do you tell which version of excel was used to create a wo

    How can you even tell which version last calculated the workbook?

    My situation is this: I am a computer professor and my students are
    required to use Excel 2003 for their assignments. They are submitting them
    in Blackboard (an online educational application). When I download the files
    and open them in Excel 2003, I get a message that asks me if I want to save
    the changes made to the file that was created with an earlier version of
    Excel. Some of these files I am sure were created in 2003. But I would like
    to know for sure. I am assuming that Blackboard is somehow modifying the
    files - and this is what is prompting the message I get. As the professor,
    it would be nice to know. ;-)

  5. #5
    swatsp0p
    Guest

    Re: How do you tell which version of excel was used to create a wo

    This was posted on one user's group that didn't make it to the general forum
    by Dominicb: