help commas before data

  1. #1
    James
    Guest

    help commas before data

    Ok, i have these tick marks (they're comma's) in every cell before my data,
    for example '27458, '33354

    I can't get a vlookup to work unless i get rid of the comma's. the problem
    is i have 28000 rows to fix. Any ideas?

    I'm using Excel 2000.

    TIA

    James

  2. #2
    James
    Guest

    Re: help commas before data

    sorry, i meant apostrophes
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gate
    Guest

    Re: help commas before data

    check out the CLEAN() function in Excel help.

  4. #4
    HansM
    Guest

    Re: help commas before data

    Use the 'Data', 'Text-to-column' feature. It'll do it in one operation.
    --
    HansM

  5. #5
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: help commas before data

    James wrote:
    || Ok, i have these tick marks (they're comma's) in every cell before
    || my data, for example '27458, '33354
    || I can't get a vlookup to work unless i get rid of the comma's. the
    || problem is i have 28000 rows to fix. Any ideas?
    || I'm using Excel 2000.
    || TIA
    || James

    Find ' replace "nothing" (and I mean nothing - leave the Replace field
    blank)

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  6. #6
    Gate
    Guest

    Re: help commas before data

    use the 'copy' then 'values only' for the entire column after you have
    cleaned the column