conditional formating for a blank cell

  1. #1
    wsoung
    Guest

    conditional formating for a blank cell

    i'm trying to do the following conditional formatting:

    if the date in the cell is less than TODAY(), make the cell red.

    if the cell is blank, leave the cell blank with white shading.

    i've tried the following:
    cell value is equal to =""
    cell value is equal to ""
    formula is =AND(E8="",E8<TODAY())
    and some others that i can't remember at the moment.

    i've searched this forum and tried all the ideas i could find. anyone have
    any other ideas?

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: conditional formating for a blank cell

    =E8<TODAY()

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    wsoung
    Guest

    Re: conditional formating for a blank cell

    Sorry, here's some clarification.

    I currently have the first conditional working (if the date in the cell is
    less than TODAY(), make the cell red.), but it turns all the cells red,
    including the blanks ones.

    The conditionals below were my attempts at making the blank cells white.

    I need help turning the red cells to white if the cell is blank.

  4. #4
    Kamal
    Guest

    Re: conditional formating for a blank cell

    Try this.

    If cell A1 is blank or say cell A65000 is blank

    In conditional Formatting dialogue box say

    the formula is "=A1" or "=A65000"
    do formatting the way you want

    Kamal

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: conditional formating for a blank cell

    Test for blank for, and <TODAY() second.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    plumstone
    Guest

    RE: conditional formating for a blank cell

    All you need is one condition:
    Cell Value Is Less than =TODAY()
    Then it will turn any day less than today's date as red, but leave the blank
    cell and the date after today's date white.