HELP! Totals by two variables?

  1. #1
    Xandlyn
    Guest

    HELP! Totals by two variables?

    How do I total up the amount of an item by month and also name?

    For example:
    Colum A: Colum B: Colum C:
    Dates: Units Sold Seller:
    1/5/05 8 Josh
    1/6/05 10 Josh
    1/15/05 7 Rick
    2/8/05 1 Josh
    2/20/05 13 Rick
    3/5/05 25 Rick

    So I am trying to set up a chart where January Gives the totals for Josh and
    Rick in seperate cells and etc. for each month.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: HELP! Totals by two variables?

    Try Pivot Table ..

    Some quick steps to ease you in?

    Assuming the sample data given is in Sheet1,

    Click anywhere within the data

    Click Data > Pivot Table Report > Next > Next

    In step 3 of the wizard:
    drag Seller and drop within ROW area
    drag Dates and drop within COLUMN area
    drag Units Sold and drop within DATA area
    (it'll appear as Sum of Units Sold)

    Click Finish

    The Pivot Table (PT) will appear
    in a new sheet to the left of Sheet1

    In the PT,

    Right-click on Dates > Group and Outline > Group

    In the Group dialog,
    you'll see that By "Months" has been pre-selected

    Click OK

    Voila, you'll get what you want .. :

    Sum of Units Sold__Dates:
    Seller:___________Jan Feb Mar Grand Total
    Josh_____________18_1________19
    Rick______________7_13__25____45
    Grand Total_______25__14__25____64

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: HELP! Totals by two variables?

    Personally, I don't rate Pivot Tables. If you want a non-Pivot table
    solution, try this

    ON another sheet
    In B1-M1, put the dates 1/1/05, 2/1/05, etc
    In A2:An, put the Seller's names

    In B2:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(Month(Sheet1!A1:A1000)=Month(B$1)),--(Year(Sheet1!A1:A1000)=Y
    ear(B$1)),--(Sheet1!C1:C1000=$A2),Sheet1!B1:B1000)

    and copy across and down

    RP

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: HELP! Totals by two variables?

    "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Personally, I don't rate Pivot Tables. ..

    Left room for a non-pivot table solution to breeze by <bg>
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: HELP! Totals by two variables?

    "Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Personally, I don't rate Pivot Tables. ..

    > Left room for a non-pivot table solution to breeze by <bg>

    And I blew <ebg>

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: HELP! Totals by two variables?

    > "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Personally, I don't rate Pivot Tables. ..

    Now that's something we have in common!

    Biff

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: HELP! Totals by two variables?

    "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > > Personally, I don't rate Pivot Tables. ..

    > Now that's something we have in common!

    We have a third like mind, but I won't 'out' him <g>