DDE links to Bloomberg

  1. #1
    DMG
    Guest

    DDE links to Bloomberg

    Hi
    I have a spreadhseet that extracts data from Bloomberg via DDE. I have
    another spreadsheet with a macro that copies and pastes the original
    spreadsheet. In Office 2000, the Bloomberg spreadsheet would ask if we
    wanted to update the links. We would say no and the stale data would be
    available. In Excel 2003, it asks us if we want to update the links. We say
    no and the DDE formula turns to an error rather than staying as the stale
    data.
    Is there a way around this?
    The DDE formula is:
    ='C:\blp\API\dde\Blp.xla'!BLP($A2,B$1:C$1,,,BLP|M!'GNSF 4.50 Mtge,[PX
    LAST,LAST UPDATE]')

  2. #2
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: DDE links to Bloomberg

    "DMG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    > I have a spreadhseet that extracts data from Bloomberg via DDE. I have
    > another spreadsheet with a macro that copies and pastes the original
    > spreadsheet. In Office 2000, the Bloomberg spreadsheet would ask if we
    > wanted to update the links. We would say no and the stale data would be
    > available. In Excel 2003, it asks us if we want to update the links. We

    say
    > no and the DDE formula turns to an error rather than staying as the stale
    > data.
    > Is there a way around this?
    > The DDE formula is:
    > ='C:\blp\API\dde\Blp.xla'!BLP($A2,B$1:C$1,,,BLP|M!'GNSF 4.50 Mtge,[PX
    > LAST,LAST UPDATE]')

    I guess this could be a result of the sheet being in automatic calculation
    mode rather than manual.

    /Fredrik

  3. #3
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: DDE links to Bloomberg

    Hi,

    I have numerous workbooks that use DDE for Bloomberg and Reuters. I run
    most on a scheduler and grab data at specific times. Problems occur if we
    need to open the file after it has already retrieved the time specific
    info - we don't want to overwrite it. To solve this, I wrote a macro that
    copies the live data (when we get it at the pre-defined time) as values to a
    different sheet. All other files that link to the workbook link to the
    copied data. Sometimes I copy the live data and then create a new workbook
    with values only for other files to use because I don't want anyone/thing
    messing with the automated file. A great resource for Excel Bloomberg and
    Reuters tips is www.willowsolutions.com - I got some good ideas there.
    Hope this helps.

    dave