Going from column to comma separated list...

  1. #1
    jmboggiano
    Guest

    Going from column to comma separated list...

    I have a list of names, each in its own cell. I need them to be in a column,
    not a row. But, what I would like to do, is be able to select all the names
    and copy them and then, when I paste them into word or another spreadsheet
    have them separated by commas.

    So:
    Jeff
    Joe
    Sally

    becomes
    Jeff, Joe, Sally

    The excel file starts out as a CSV that was created using a text editor
    already in the format I want with the commas between the names... but I need
    to open it as an excel spreadsheet so I can do some filtering and sorting. I
    keep the file saved as a CSV. But, when I open the file as a CSV and put the
    list into a column, if I then save the file back to a CSV it is no longer in
    the comma separated format I need.

    What do i need to do?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Going from column to comma separated list...

    JM,

    If you've transposed the names to a column, there will be record delimiters
    (codes 10, 13) between each name when you save as csv:

    Jeff 10 13
    Joe 10 13
    Sally 10 13

    You could transpose them back to a row after you've done your Excel stuff
    with them, then save as CSV. There'd then be commas:

    Jeff,Joe,Sally.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...