Excel Return of value from junction of x-y axis of a table

  1. #1
    Pittsburgh Jack
    Guest

    Excel Return of value from junction of x-y axis of a table

    I have set up a simple information table on an Excel spreadsheet. There are
    a series of categories in the left column (for the rows) and a series of
    categories along the top of the table (for the colums). How do I get Excel
    to return a value from a junction of the X-Y axis by imputing one of the
    categories on the left and one of the categories on the top of this simple
    table?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Return of value from junction of x-y axis of a table

    One way ..

    Assuming this table is in A1: D4 in Sheet1

    -- X Y Z
    A 5 3 8
    B 7 9 9
    C 9 4 5

    In Sheet2
    ------------
    With cols A and B, in row1 down earmarked for the inputs
    of horiz. (X,Y,Z) and vertical (A,B,C) references

    Put in say, C1:

    =IF(COUNTBLANK(A1:B1)<>0,"",OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,MATCH(B1,Sheet1!$A:$A,0)-1,MA
    TCH(A1,Sheet1!$1:$1,0)-1))

    Copy C1 down

    If A1 contains: Y, B1 contains: C, C1 returns 4
    If A2 contains: Z, B1 contains: A, C1 returns 8
    and so on ..

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  3. #3
    Pittsburgh Jack
    Guest

    Re: Excel Return of value from junction of x-y axis of a table

    Isn't there a simpler way? I don't understand the $A:$A and $1:$1 reference
    in the formula.

    Pittsburgh Jack

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Excel Return of value from junction of x-y axis of a table

    Maybe check out the INDEX function............

    Name the range of your table "MyRange", and do

    =INDEX(MyRange,3,3) to get the junction of the third cell down and the third
    row to the right.......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Excel Return of value from junction of x-y axis of a table

    Included in XL's reference operators, there is the "intersection operator",
    which is quite simply, a *space*.

    If you had this simple datalist:

    A B C D
    1] XXX Mary Beth Ann
    2] Tom 1 2 3
    3] **** 4 5 6
    4] Harry 7 8 9

    To return 5, use
    =C1:C4 A3:D3
    Which is the intersection of the 2 ranges.
    Note the space between the ranges.

    You could however, also use the names instead.
    <Tools> <Options> <Calculation> tab,
    And make sure that "Accept Labels in Formulas"
    *IS* checked.

    Then use this to return 5:

    =Beth ****
    OR
    =**** Beth

    You can also use the names in actual calculations:
    =beth *****mary harry
    to return 35
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Return of value from junction of x-y axis of a table

    > Isn't there a simpler way?

    Thought the suggested way wasn't all that tough <g>

    Perhaps you'd like to try the other suggestions posted by Chuck & Ragdyer.
    Just adopt the one that is "simplest" to you or one that you feel most
    comfortable with .. The choice is yours.

    Just some explanations on:
    > .. the $A:$A and $1:$1 reference

    $A:$A is an entire *col* reference (col A), the dollar signs "$" are meant
    to lock the references so that it doesn't change when you copy the formula
    across. Col A is where the vertical references are located.

    Likewise ..
    $1:$1 is an entire *row* reference (row1), the dollar signs "$" are to lock
    the references so that it doesn't change when you copy the formula down.
    Row1 is where the horizontal references are located.
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
    xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
    ----
    "Pittsburgh Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Return of value from junction of x-y axis of a table

    Typo in line:
    > If A2 contains: Z, B1 contains: A, C1 returns 8

    It should read:

    --
    Rgds
    Max