Capitalising text

  1. #1
    Winsome
    Guest

    Capitalising text

    When there is a column of text how do I change the text in the whole column
    to UPPERCASE in one step?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Capitalising text

    If you're not too particular about an extra 2-3 steps ..

    Assume col A is the col of text in A1 down

    Put in B1: =TRIM(UPPER(A1))
    Copy down

    Copy col B and then right click on col A
    Choose paste special > values > OK to overwrite col A

    Delete col B
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Capitalising text

    "Winsome" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >When there is a column of text how do I change the text in the whole column
    >to UPPERCASE in one step?

    You don't unless you have a macro to do this for you. If no macro, you could
    use formulas, but it requires more than one step. To capitalize A1:A1000, if
    col X were empty, enter =UPPER(A1) in X1, fill X1 down into X2:X1000, select
    X1:X1000, Edit > Copy, select A1, Edit > Paste Special as values, then clear
    X1:X1000.

    If you want a macro to do this, the following one will capitalize all cells
    containing text constants in the selected range.

    Sub uc()
    Dim c As Range, r As Range

    If Not TypeOf Selection Is Range Then Exit Sub

    On Error Resume Next
    Set r = Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, 2)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Err.Clear
    Exit Sub
    End If
    On Error Goto 0

    For Each c In r
    c.Value = UCase(c.Value)
    Next c
    End Sub

  4. #4
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Capitalising text

    Max wrote:
    || If you're not too particular about an extra 2-3 steps ..
    || Assume col A is the col of text in A1 down
    || Put in B1: =TRIM(UPPER(A1))

    What does TRIM do that just "=UPPER(A1)" doesn't?
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Capitalising text

    > What does TRIM do that just "=UPPER(A1)" doesn't?

    It isn't relevant here as far as changing the case goes, but I'd normally
    use TRIM as well whenever working on text cols, to tidy up/remove any
    extraneous spaces which might be present. The result? A cleaner output
    besides the case conversion. Just a die-hard habit, I guess <g>.
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
    xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
    ----
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Capitalising text

    Max wrote:
    ||| What does TRIM do that just "=UPPER(A1)" doesn't?
    || It isn't relevant here as far as changing the case goes, but I'd
    || normally use TRIM as well whenever working on text cols, to tidy
    || up/remove any extraneous spaces which might be present. The result?
    || A cleaner output besides the case conversion. Just a die-hard habit,
    || I guess <g>. --
    || Rgds
    || Max

    Good thinking.......