Protecting certain cells only & Spell check

  1. #1
    Gus
    Guest

    Protecting certain cells only & Spell check

    I have a protected worksheet with certain cells I do not want changed. I
    also have cells in which people can type text. But I noticed that when a
    worksheet is protected, spell check is grayed out. Is there any way to
    allow by text cells to be checked for spelling without unprotecting my
    worksheet? Or is there a way to protect cells from change without
    protecting the whole worksheet?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Protecting certain cells only & Spell check

    Gus

    Requires VBA to unprotect the sheet, do the spellcheck then reprotect the
    sheet.

    Similar to.......

    Sub Spell_Check()
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
    Cells.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033
    ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme", DrawingObjects:=True, _
    Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
    End Sub

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Gus
    Guest

    Re: Protecting certain cells only & Spell check

    thanks for the reply; not sure how to do this, I'm not a programmer.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Protecting certain cells only & Spell check

    Gus

    If you're going to use Excel a lot, you will learn how to create, write and
    execute macros.

    If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
    "getting started".

    In the meantime..........

    First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

    To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

    Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

    Find your workbook/project and select it.

    Right-click and Insert>Module. Paste the code in there. Save the
    workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

    Run the macro by going to Tool>Macro>Macros.

    You can also assign this macro to a button or a shortcut key combo.

    Gord