Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

  1. #1
    Fairmont
    Guest

    Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

    Worked on a spreadsheet and could insert text boxes and now I can't insert
    text boxes or graphics, and the spreadsheet is not protected.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

    If the workbook is shared, you won't be able to insert text boxes or
    graphics.

    To turn off sharing, choose Tools>Share Workbook.
    On the Editing tab, remove the check mark from 'Allow changes by more
    than one user at the same time.'
    Click OK
    Click Yes, if you want to confirm the change.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Toronto, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

    I had this same problem - could not insert text box into an Excel file that I had been using for a long time - created on Excel 2003 but being worked on in Excel 2007 (not even sure if that's relevant.)

    Actually, I googled my problem and ended up here, but nothing here (or anywhere else) helped fix it. I finally opened a new sheet, did a Select All in the old one, and dumped the whole package into the new sheet. Column widths and Row heights were lost, but when I checked the Insert menu, Text Box was no longer ghosted out, so reformatting the columns and rows seemed worthwhile.

    I do not promote this as an elegant solution, but at least I proved that it is possible to "go around" this text box problem if necessary.

  4. #4
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairmont View Post
    Worked on a spreadsheet and could insert text boxes and now I can't insert
    text boxes or graphics, and the spreadsheet is not protected.
    The simplest possibility is you have multiple sheets highlighted at the bottom, in which case you are not allowed to insert any objects.

  5. #5
    Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

    There are 3 reasons:
    1. You have multiple worksheets selected
    2. Your workbook is shared
    3. The option is turned off

    Option 3 was my problem, have no idea how it changed.

    Option 3 fix is:

    File
    Scroll halfway down to Display options for this workbook
    For objects, show
    select ALL

  6. #6
    Houston, TX
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    Re: Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add my solution in case anyone else finds themselves here. For me, it was option 3 as described by zx6roo. You can also toggle this by clicking CTRL + 6, which will hide objects (or unhide if toggled again). I accidentally clicked this when trying to strikethrough items.

  7. #7
    Istanbul, Turkey
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 16
    Quote Originally Posted by zx6roo View Post
    There are 3 reasons:
    1. You have multiple worksheets selected
    2. Your workbook is shared
    3. The option is turned off

    Option 3 was my problem, have no idea how it changed.

    Option 3 fix is:

    File
    Scroll halfway down to Display options for this workbook
    For objects, show
    select ALL
    That works in 2023! Many greetings from Istanbul, Turkey.

  8. #8
    Austin, TX
    MS-Off Ver
    Office16

    Re: Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

    Option 3 going strong in 2024.

  9. #9
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,938

    Re: Suddenly can't insert text box, Why?

    Thanks for the update.
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford