Efficient Parametric Studies with Excel

  1. #1
    Don Karnage
    Guest

    Efficient Parametric Studies with Excel

    Hello, I was hoping to find an easy solution to the following problem.
    Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

    Say I have a single cell whose value is a function of values of two
    other cells

    A3 = A2 * A1

    If I were to make a multiplication table with A1 on one axis and A2 on
    the other, would I be able to fill it out by using the function
    specified above? Up until now, I have had to manually enter in each
    values into cells A1 and A2 and then 'special paste' the value of A3
    into each table entry. This can get quite time consuming for tables
    with big dimensions. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks again.

    -Yuto S.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Parametric Studies with Excel

    Don,

    Let's say that you want a table with 8 values for A1, and eight values for
    A2, for a total of 64 values.

    With your "A1" values in the first row, starting in cell B1 and continuing
    to I1, and your "A2" values in column A starting at cell A2 and continuing
    down to A9. In cell B2, enter the formula

    = $A2*B$1

    and copy that cell to B2:I9.

    You could also use Excel built-in data table feature: I have pasted the help
    item about data tables below.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    Create a two-variable data table
    Two-variable data tables use only one formula with two lists of input
    values. The formula must refer to two different input cells.
    In a cell on the worksheet, enter the formula that refers to the two input
    cells.
    In the example below, where the formula's starting values are entered in
    cells B3, B4, and B5, you would type the formula =PMT(B3/12,B4,-B5) into
    cell C2.
    Type one list of input values in the same column, below the formula.
    In the example below, you would type the different interest rates into cells
    C3, C4, and C5.
    Type the second list in the same row, to the right of the formula.
    In the example below, you would type the loan terms (in months) into cells
    D2 and E2.
    Select the range of cells that contains the formula and both the row and
    column of values.
    In the example below, you would select the range C2:E5.
    On the Data menu, click Table.
    In the Row input cell box, enter the reference to the input cell for the
    input values in the row.
    In the example below, you would type cell B4 in the Row input cell box.
    In the Column input cell box, enter the reference to the input cell for the
    input values in the column.
    In the example below, you would type B3 in the Column input cell box.
    Click OK.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Don Karnage
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Parametric Studies with Excel

    Apologies fro my lack of response, and a big thanks to such a thorough
    explanation. I didn't even know the 'table' function existed in Excel,
    though it seems like a logical feature and considering it's not hidden
    away in some obscure array of menus. One problem though. . .what if I
    have a complex spreadsheet that say, calculates the drag on an
    airplane. The drag may be a function of hundreds of parameters and the
    routine may require me to calculate several sub-parameters along the
    way. In cases like this, it's almost impossible to be able to cram the
    equation into one cell. For example:

    A1: altitude
    A2: speed
    A3: span of aircraft
    A4: weight of aircraft
    A5: geometry of wing

    A6 = a fraction of the total drag as a function of A1 and A2
    A7 = a fraction of the total drag as a function of A3 and A4
    A8 = a fraction of the total drag as a function of A5

    Total drag = A6 + A7 + A8

    It seems to be that the Table function wouldn't work in this case
    because it requires the user to write out the full expression for drag
    in a cell (ie. Total drag as a function of A1, A2, A3, A4, A5). I've
    been doing a little experimenting to see if I can coerce Excel into
    doing what I want. Thanks again for your help!

    -Yuto S.

  4. #4
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Parametric Studies with Excel

    Don -

    For example, if you have a list of altitude values in a column, and if you
    want corresponding total drag in an adjacent column, enter =A9 at the top of
    that adjacent column (where total drag is calculated in cell A9), and then
    use the Data Table command, specifying column input A1.

    For examples of one-factor and two-factor data tables, in a very different
    context, but where the output formula depends on the inputs with many
    intermediate variables, see pp. 30-34 in "Decision Trees Using TreePlan,"
    file treeplan.pdf, available on the "Download Free Tryout" page at
    www.treeplan.com.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Parametric Studies with Excel

    Yuto,

    In your case, custom code would probably be better than trying to design a
    spreadsheet.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Don Karnage
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Parametric Studies with Excel

    It worked! Thanks to both of you for your help. Bernie, you're
    probably right that it's easier to do higher level analysis with Matlab
    or something, but an Excel spreadsheet is much easier to distribute to
    others and have them understand what's going on.

    Take care,
    Yuto S.