Deleting cell contents based on partial content?

  1. #1
    Jordon
    Guest

    Deleting cell contents based on partial content?

    Is it possible to delete the contents of all cells in a named range based
    on the partial contents of those cells?

    I import data from a database that ends up having thousands of cells
    whose contents start with 3 asterisks and end with 3 asterisks and I'm
    looking for a way to delete them all, not just the asterisks but everything
    in those cells.

    TIA,

    --
    Jordon

  2. #2
    Keith Streich
    Guest

    Re: Deleting cell contents based on partial content?

    Can you sort the data to group all the "***" together, then just delete the
    selected rows or cells? Then sort them back to the original order.

    Keith

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jordon
    Guest

    Re: Deleting cell contents based on partial content?

    Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I'm doing now but it takes a long
    time.
    The data I'm working with is in 30 different columns and the entries with
    asterisks start in different rows for different columns. I have to sort it
    about
    5 times to get all of them.

    "Keith Streich" wrote

  4. #4
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Deleting cell contents based on partial content?

    Jordon,

    Try edit /replace ~*~*~** replace all with nothing ... worked for me

    Beege

  5. #5
    Jordon
    Guest

    Re: Deleting cell contents based on partial content?

    Hey... that works! Thanks Beege!

    "Beege" wrote