How to find the second most frequent datum in a list?

  1. #1
    Sam
    Guest

    How to find the second most frequent datum in a list?

    I have a list of numbers in a column (say, Column A).
    What should I do if I want to find the second most frequent datum in the
    list and store it in B1?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How to find the second most frequent datum in a list?

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:58:37 +0800, "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a list of numbers in a column (say, Column A).
    >What should I do if I want to find the second most frequent datum in the
    >list and store it in B1?
    >Thanks in advance.

    How do you want to handle different datums that are equally frequent?

    For example, let us say that out of an array of 1000 data points, the numbers
    14, 48 and 16 all occur 8 times and the numbers 12, 19 and 23 all occur 7
    times. What kind of a result would you want in B1?

    --ron

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: How to find the second most frequent datum in a list?

    Unrelated to the subject, but where did you find the OP's post, Ron? It
    does not appear to be archived in Google (despite no mention of an
    attachment), nor am I able to find any other messages with this subject
    or any messages from Sam on 16 Mar among the headers from my news server.

    Jerry

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How to find the second most frequent datum in a list?

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:51:30 -0500, "Jerry W. Lewis"
    <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote:

    >Unrelated to the subject, but where did you find the OP's post, Ron? It
    >does not appear to be archived in Google (despite no mention of an
    >attachment), nor am I able to find any other messages with this subject
    >or any messages from Sam on 16 Mar among the headers from my news server.
    >
    >Jerry

    Jerry,

    I use Agent for my newsreader and, for the microsoft news groups, I have it
    pointed at msnews.microsoft.com for the "news server".

    It just showed up as a new posting this morning.

    However, even with this setup, I have noted rarely that an OP's posting doesn't
    show up. If I've been interested, I've been able to find it. And I've assumed
    that I did not see it perhaps due to one of my filters.

    In any event, the full header of the OP's initial message as it exists in Agent
    (along with the message) follows:

    ===================================
    From: "Sam" <[email protected]>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel
    Subject: How to find the second most frequent datum in a list?
    Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:58:37 +0800
    I have a list of numbers in a column (say, Column A).
    What should I do if I want to find the second most frequent datum in the
    list and store it in B1?
    Thanks in advance.

    --ron