multiply negatives

  1. #1
    Penny
    Guest

    multiply negatives

    I want to mulitply 2 #
    # may or may not be negative
    if it is negative the answer should show that eg:

    a=-33.04*b=-1.69

    What is the formula????

    at the moment the result shows up as a positive 11.83

    Help

  2. #2
    Mesquite Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Is this a trick question?

    You multiplied -33.04 * -1.69 and got +11.83?

    I guess I don't understand your question. Excel does math just like anyone else, eg, a negative times a negative = a postive.

    Please explain further

  3. #3
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: multiply negatives

    In your example we'll assume that:

    Cell A10 contains a value of -33.04
    Cell A11 contains a value of -1.69

    The formula in cell A12 would be

    =A10*A11

    The result displayed is cell A12 would be 55.8376 as a positive value.

    HTH |:>)

  4. #4
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: multiply negatives

    Penny

    I have no idea how you get that answer

    A2 = -33.04
    B2 = -1.69
    C2 = =A2*B2 = 55.8376
    D2 = =A2/B2 = 19.5502958579882
    A3 = =A2*2 = -66.08

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: multiply negatives

    Penny,

    Would =IF(AND(A1<0,B1<0),-(A1*B1),A1*B1) do what you want? With the data I
    get -18.6576 with the formula.

    HTH

    Sandy

    --
    to e-mail direct replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk

  6. #6
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: multiply negatives

    Sandy

    how, exactly, do you get -18.6576 ?

    I just tried your formula and got -55.8376

    -18.6576 is just about a third of the correct result.

    Not sure why you would want to multiply two negatives and give a negative
    result ... that would screw some basic maths calculations.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: multiply negatives

    Hi Trevor,

    > how, exactly, do you get -18.6576 ?

    I mistakenly took the OP's result instead of the first data item.

    > Not sure why you would want to multiply two negatives and give a negative
    > result ... that would screw some basic maths calculations.

    I don't know either, that was my interpretation of the OP's instruction

    > # may or may not be negative
    > if it is negative the answer should show that eg:

    <snip>
    > at the moment the result shows up as a positive 11.83

    =IF(AND(A1<0,B1<0),-(A1*B1),A1*B1)/4.72
    would give the OP's required -11.83

    Regards

    Sandy