Delete - Shift Cells UP problem

  1. #1
    Ralph
    Guest

    Delete - Shift Cells UP problem

    Hi

    I setup a toolbar icon to automate the delete-shift cells up function but
    sometimes it shifts cells up and other times it shifts them to the left, how
    can i have it just do shift UP?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Delete - Shift Cells UP problem

    Ralph

    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp

    should always move the cells up.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ralph
    Guest

    Re: Delete - Shift Cells UP problem

    Trevor, thanks, but you're a bit over my head, maybe I should explain better:
    I setup a toolbar icon by going "view:toolbars:customize" and chose the one
    that is for deleting cells...but it is inconsistent

  4. #4
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Delete - Shift Cells UP problem

    Ralph

    ahhhh, sorry. Excel tries to be helpful ... as ever.

    What I'm not sure about are the "rules" that it applies. If there is data
    in the cells that you have selected * I think * it does the following:

    if you have several cells in a row selected, it assumes you want to move the
    cells below up.

    if you have several cells in a column selected, it assumes you want to move
    the cells below left.

    if you are deleting cells in a "blank" area it seems to default to "up"

    and if you are deleting a single cell in the midst of other data it assumes
    "up"

    It's probably very logical when you see the pattern