Counting occurance of letters or numbers

  1. #1
    csfrolich
    Guest

    Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    I am helping some one else .... so excuse the limited and continuation of
    questions I may plan to ask.

    I have a columns with 1 character entry... in 11 rows

    Column A

    0 This column to the left, I want to count the # of x's,
    which is 5 in this
    2 example
    3
    _
    x Immediately underneath the answer above
    0 I would also like to count the number of time #s 1-7
    show up and 0
    x needs to be omitted.. this example would be 2... the 2
    and 3
    _
    r Some cells may have NO entry or blank indicated by _
    I am not sure what the "r" is yet... But these
    answered above will get me on my way.

    Thanks for all the help

  2. #2
    Phil Osman
    Guest

    RE: Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    =COUNTIF(G4:G15,"x") will give you the number of X's anyway......

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    Hi

    to count anything in a range you have the choice of COUNTIF or SUMPRODUCT
    both of your requirements can be achieved using COUNTIF

    for the "x's"
    use
    =COUNTIF(A1:A11,"x")

    for the number of items between 1 & 7 inclusive use
    =COUNTIF(A1:A11,"<="&7)-COUNTIF(A1:A11,">="&1)

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    In column B, or below your eleven rows in Col A, enter the following formula:
    =COUNTIF(A1:A11,"x")

  5. #5
    Phil Osman
    Guest

    Re: Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    It needs an amendment:

  6. #6
    Phil Osman
    Guest

    Re: Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    OOops!
    Here it is:

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    why?

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    sorry Phil, of course you are correct

  9. #9
    AlfD
    Guest

    Re: Counting occurance of letters or numbers

    Hi!

    What happens for the value 1? Counted in by te first expression and
    counted out by the second.
    Suggest second expression changes to COUNTI=ADF(A1:A11,">"&1 ) i.e.
    drop the "=3D"

    Alf