read only

  1. #1
    Joe
    Guest

    read only

    I haven't done much research yet but I'm hoping to take the easy way out.
    Does anyone have a good sugestion of how we can turn an excel file into a
    read only file once we are done with it? In this case, I don't think we
    want anyone to be able to edit it anymore, so I was thinking more along the
    lines of turn it into a web page or similar rather than trying to password
    protect it... but my quick look at the web page option, you could still
    click eddit in excel.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: read only

    You could make it a PDF file.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: read only

    I send out workbooks that I will allow people to edit 6 sheets of, and not
    edit two sheets of..........I do this by making the un-editable sheets with
    no gridlines , and copy and pasting a (transparent) picture of my Excel
    worksheet over on to it.........it looks like a worksheet, but it
    ain't...........and you can even have colored backgrounds to distinguish it
    from a "real" worksheet if you wish.......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: read only

    Joe shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel:

    > I haven't done much research yet but I'm hoping to take the easy way
    > out. Does anyone have a good sugestion of how we can turn an excel
    > file into a read only file once we are done with it? In this case, I
    > don't think we want anyone to be able to edit it anymore, so I was
    > thinking more along the lines of turn it into a web page or similar
    > rather than trying to password protect it... but my quick look at
    > the web page option, you could still click eddit in excel.

    Protect the sheet from changes. Actually you dont HAVE TO enter a
    password. I do this all the time, to protect myself and my cow-orkers
    from mistakes ;-)

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
    If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    How to Report Bugs Effectively
    Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
    answer.
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
    o-answers.html

  5. #5
    Lynn Kurtz
    Guest

    Re: read only

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:27:21 -0500, "CLR" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I send out workbooks that I will allow people to edit 6 sheets of, and not
    >edit two sheets of..........I do this by making the un-editable sheets with
    >no gridlines , and copy and pasting a (transparent) picture of my Excel
    >worksheet over on to it.........it looks like a worksheet, but it
    >ain't...........and you can even have colored backgrounds to distinguish it
    >from a "real" worksheet if you wish.......
    >
    >Vaya con Dios,
    >Chuck, CABGx3

    Hi Chuck. Could you give some more details on how you create the
    transparent picture of your worksheet? Do you make a .jpg somehow, or
    what? Thanks.

    --Lynn

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: read only

    I use Excel 2000........Ctrl-Shift-Edit > Copy Picture > As Shown on Screen
    > ok .......then take it to a new workbook and Right-click >

    Paste.........NOTE that Ctrl-Shift-Edit menu is different than just the
    regular Edit menu.

    It helps to get rid of the grid lines first, either white backgrounds for
    the cells, or Tools > Options > ViewTab > uncheck Gridlines........or you
    can shade the background pastel color to indicate that it's a non-editable
    sheet..........

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Lynn Kurtz
    Guest

    Re: read only

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:11:42 -0500, "CLR" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I use Excel 2000........Ctrl-Shift-Edit > Copy Picture > As Shown on Screen
    >> ok .......then take it to a new workbook and Right-click >

    >Paste.........NOTE that Ctrl-Shift-Edit menu is different than just the
    >regular Edit menu.
    >
    >It helps to get rid of the grid lines first, either white backgrounds for
    >the cells, or Tools > Options > ViewTab > uncheck Gridlines........or you
    >can shade the background pastel color to indicate that it's a non-editable
    >sheet..........
    >
    >hth
    >Vaya con Dios,
    >Chuck, CABGx3

    Thanks for that Chuck. I now see that Ctrl-Shift-C also does it. I
    never saw that menu before. I volunteer teach a beginning excel class
    for seniors and this gives a nice way of showing them what I want them
    to do without showing them how to do it. Now I won't need to "burden"
    them with pdf files.

    --Lynn

  8. #8
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: read only

    You're welcome Lynn..............

    more power to you for helping Seniors........

  9. #9

    Re: read only

    ctrl-shift-c just beeps for me (xl2003).

    You may have a macro that uses that as a shortcut key combo. Unless your
    students have that macro (with its shortcut), it may not work for them.

  10. #10
    Lynn Kurtz
    Guest

    Re: read only

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:53:26 -0600, Dave Peterson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >ctrl-shift-c just beeps for me (xl2003).
    >
    >You may have a macro that uses that as a shortcut key combo. Unless your
    >students have that macro (with its shortcut), it may not work for them.

    Hmmm, I'm using Excel 2002 SP2. I haven't entered that macro and no
    macros show with Alt-F8.

    Anyway, it doesn't have to work for them. It is just something I can
    use to produce materials for them.

    --Lynn