display data as a percentage of a subtotal in excel pivot table

  1. #1
    Fl pivot user
    Guest

    display data as a percentage of a subtotal in excel pivot table

    how can data be displayed as a percentage of a subtotal in a pivot table?
    for example, I can display salesperson A's 1st quarter sales as a percentage
    of yearly sales. What I want to do is display salesperson A's 1st quarter
    sales as a percentage of quarter 1 total sales.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: display data as a percentage of a subtotal in excel pivot table

    You can add columns to your data table, and calculate the quarter, and
    the percent of quarter total for each row. For example, with your data
    in cells A1:C200 --

    Salesperson Date Sales
    Sam 1-Jan-05 200

    In cell D1, type: Qtr
    In cell D2, type: =CHOOSE(MONTH(B2),1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4)

    In cell E1, type: PctQtr
    In cell E2, type: =I2/SUMIF($C$2:$C$200,C2,$I$2:$I$200)

    Copy the formulas down to row 200

    Change the Pivot table source to include the new column
    Refresh the pivot table
    Add the PctQtr to the Data area
    Format the field as Percentage

    Note: Grand Total will show an incorrect amount in this column.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3

    Re: display data as a percentage of a subtotal in excel pivot table

    I like this way to indicate quarters:

    =YEAR(A2)&"-Qtr"&INT((MONTH(A2)+2)/3)

    It evaluates to something like: 2005-Qtr1
    (sometimes the year is useful.)