Dollar and date format

  1. #1
    Rick
    Guest

    Dollar and date format

    I have 2 questions related to formatting information that I have imported:

    1)If I have a column that contains amounts such as 0000000427.99 and I want
    to remove the decimal but keep the trailing cents, what is the best way to do
    that for a whole column? example: 000000042799

    2) I also have a date that has been imported as 3/9/2005 and I need to
    remove the "/"'s and have the month and date format with zeros if needed such
    as 03092005, what is the best way to accomplish this on a column.

    Thank you,

    Rick

  2. #2
    Ramakrishnan Rajamani
    Guest

    RE: Dollar and date format

    For Question # 1 - Multiply by 100 :-)) Just kidding

    For Question # 2 - Format Cells -> Custom -> mmddyyyy or mmddyyyy.

  3. #3
    Rick
    Guest

    RE: Dollar and date format

    I tried the multiply by 100, It works except I can't seem to figure out how
    to apply a formula automatically to a column when the data is already there.

    Solution 2 worked perfectly! - Thanks

  4. #4
    Ramakrishnan Rajamani
    Guest

    RE: Dollar and date format

    What data do you have in the cells?

    a. Hardcoded values
    b. Existing formulae

  5. #5
    To remove the decimals from the numbers, you could do a find & replace. You may have to format the column as text first to keep the numbers as is before doing the "Find & Replace"

    Select the column that the numbers are in by clicking on the letter for that column
    Ctrl + H Opens the Find & Replace box
    Find: .
    Replace: (nothing)
    Then click on "Replace all"

    The other issue with dates I cannot help with, but good luck.

    I hope this helped somewhat.

  6. #6
    Rick
    Guest

    RE: Dollar and date format

    When imported, they look like:
    $31,504.68
    $1,709.59
    $22,338.40
    $582.50
    $951.50

    I need to have 12 digits total and include the last 2 digits as cents
    without the decimal and dollar sign. Example $31,504.68 = 000003150468 I
    want to automate a column of these numbers using a macro.

    Rick