How to find out merge cells from unknown position

  1. #1
    K.boy
    Guest

    How to find out merge cells from unknown position

    Dear Excalers,
    I have a question that is in worksheet.
    How can I find out merged cells from a sheet?
    Best regards,
    K.boy

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to find out merge cells from unknown position

    Think the easiest way is to get rid of all the merge cells in the sheet. If
    this is not a problem (the "total removal of all merge cells" part), then
    you could try:

    Press CTRL + A to select entire sheet
    Click Format > Cells > Alignment tab
    Click to *clear* the "Merge cells" checkbox
    (may have to click a few times)
    Click OK

    And if the above is too drastic an action, think this previous post below by
    Dave Peterson in .misc would prove to be of great help:

    Dave also provides a Sub testme02() which will inform you on the location of
    merged cells in the sheet via message boxes (one at a time) e.g.: 1st msg:
    "found at D14 Of D14:E16", Answer Yes*, 2nd msg: "found at B21 Of B21:C23",
    and so on, until all merge cells are found
    *but make a note somewhere on the details first, before answering Yes

    "Manually, you could divide and conquer. Select half the range, hit ctrl-1
    (to show the Format|Cell dialog). Look at that Alignment tab and look at
    the Merge cells box. If it's not checked, look in the other half. If it's a
    black check mark, you found it. If it's a grey check mark, you're getting
    warmer--it's in the selected range.

    Here's one way via a macro that looks at all the cells
    in the usedrange:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme02()
    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim resp As Long

    For Each myCell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    If myCell.MergeCells = True Then
    If myCell.Address = myCell.MergeArea.Cells(1, 1).Address Then
    resp = MsgBox(Prompt:="found at: " _
    & myCell.Address(0, 0) & " Of " _
    & myCell.MergeArea.Address(0, 0), _
    Title:="Continue Looking?", _
    Buttons:=vbYesNo)
    If resp = vbNo Then
    Exit Sub
    Next myCell

    End Sub

    If you're new to macros, you may want
    to read David McRitchie's intro at:
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchieÂ*/excel/getstarted.htm

    -------- end --------

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to find out merge cells from unknown position

    > Dave also provides a Sub testme02()
    > which will inform you on the location of
    > merged cells in the sheet via message boxes (one at a time) ...

    Hi guys,

    Just wondering if/how could Dave P's Sub testme02() be modified to output
    all findings of the merged cells to a new sheet (in col A, say) instead of
    via msg boxes ? Would be easier to refer ..

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to find out merge cells from unknown position

    The follow on query to modify Dave's sub has been posted as a fresh post in
    ..programming ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max