Highlight multiple cells (one column) that are less than today's date

  1. #1
    bgreen
    Guest

    Highlight multiple cells (one column) that are less than today's date

    Hello,

    I have a column of dates that needs to be compared current date and
    highlighted if the date is less that today's date.

    The dates were populated in a general non-specific format (below) and vary
    in length. My plan was to create a macro, that uses conditional formatting
    to say; if the cell date is less than today's date highlight it yellow. I
    am not finding this to be an easy task! Anyhow, after creating the
    conditional formatting; I apply it the column by using a past special, then
    lastly apply a format to the entire column of dates as DATE "*3/14/2001".
    What happens really doesn't work like expected. The date reverses itself in
    the format of 05/31/2006 without applying any highlight for the conditional
    format. Does anyone know how, I can get this to work? I don't mind the
    date being reversed, but it's not being recognized or highlighted from the
    conditional formatting. Help!

    The column below should have two dates highlighted in yellow (second and
    last).

    2006/05/31

    2004/09/30

    2005/07/08

    2004/07/31

  2. #2
    bgreen
    Guest

    Re: Highlight multiple cells (one column) that are less than today's date

    I am not sure if this is the best solution, but I have found that
    =DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,6,2),RIGHT(A1,2)) seem to work and recognizes the
    conditional formating. However, I am not sure how to apply this formula to
    the same column of general non-specific text dates.

    Can anyone help?

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bruno Vermeersch
    Guest

    Re: Highlight multiple cells (one column) that are less than today's date

    I'm unable to find the original message, so I try a reply on this one.
    I hope the answer will get to the right person.

    It seems that the ISO8601 standard is used for the dates (International
    Format).
    So, the cells containing this dates should be formatted as Custom with as
    type "yyyy-mm-dd"
    Afterwards, a simple Conditional Formatting will do the trick :
    Select the Date Cells and select Formula "=A1<TODAY()"
    and of couse the format you want (e.g. Patterns -> Yellow)

    Hope this helps,
    Bruno

    news:%23%[email protected]...