A Count-type formula?

  1. #1
    brbolin
    Guest

    A Count-type formula?

    I have a user who has a "different" request.
    They have a document that consists of two columns of data. Column "A"
    consists number of times an item has been measured. Column "B"
    consists of the measurement. They are wanting column "C" to actually
    show the measurement that number of times.
    Example:
    A B C
    ---------------------------
    1| 2 2 x 4 2 x 4
    | 2 x 4

    2| 1 10 x 15 10 x 15

    3| 3 5 x 10 5 x 10
    | 5 x 10
    | 5 x 10

    Now, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get it to list it in a
    different row for each measurement, but even if I were to get it to
    list it the desired number of times in one cell, I can format that cell
    to "Wrap Text" and scrunch the cell down to where it will make it
    taller, and look like the above example.
    Any thoughts or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Bryan

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: A Count-type formula?

    Hi

    try
    =LEFT(REPT(B1&CHAR(10),A1),LEN(REPT(B1&CHAR(10),A1))-1)
    and fill down, this will repeat the text the given number of times in a cell
    with a carriage return (enter) between each repetition
    (you may need to adjust row heights)

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    brbolin
    Guest

    Re: A Count-type formula?

    Thanks!
    That looks like that'll do it for us!

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: A Count-type formula?

    you're welcome and thanks for the feedback
    --
    Cheers
    JulieD