Conditional formatting on cells with a VLOOKUP formula in them

  1. #1
    JenniM
    Guest

    Conditional formatting on cells with a VLOOKUP formula in them

    I have a worksheet with some cells that contain values generated from a
    VLOOKUP formula. Some of these cells contain a #N/A error. (That's not the
    problem.) I want to be able to use conditional formatting to turn the cells
    containing #N/A red, but for some reason I can't make it work! Even on cells
    that have values instead, a conditional format just won't work.

    Is this because I'm trying to do it on VLOOKUPs? Is this an Excel glitch,
    or is there something special I have to do?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,
    JenniM

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting on cells with a VLOOKUP formula in them

    In CF, choose "Formula Is" and use:

    =ISNA(INDIRECT("rc",0))

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting on cells with a VLOOKUP formula in them

    Hi Jenni

    select the range you want to apply the conditional formatting to,
    choose format /conditional formatting
    choose formula is
    type
    =ISERROR($M2)
    where M2 is the first cell in the selected range
    click on format - set your formatting
    click OK twice

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting on cells with a VLOOKUP formula in them

    Hi Jenni

    sorry, instead of ISERROR
    use ISNA

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    JenniM
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting on cells with a VLOOKUP formula in them

    Julie and Jason, thanks a million!

    It works like a charm, and now I don't have to dread the rest of my afternoon!