How can I format the #of decimals, field types, etc. automaticall.

  1. #1
    JOET
    Guest

    How can I format the #of decimals, field types, etc. automaticall.

    I am importing a delimited file, it can be a csv, tab delimted, doesn't
    matter, but I want it to come up in excel properly formatted to the # of
    decimal places each field is formatted with in the delimited file. I also
    want zip code to come in with a leading 0, not be interpreted as a number
    even though I have enclosed it in quotes.

  2. #2

    Re: How can I format the #of decimals, field types, etc. automaticall.

    If you double click on a .csv file, excel will open it the way it wants.

    If you rename the file to .txt, you could see the import wizard and format each
    field as text--but that makes arithmetic a little more difficult. (I wouldn't
    do it this way.)

    I'd rename the file to .txt and record a macro when I imported it. I'd use
    general for the numeric fields and then format those fields after I imported it
    (still recording the code).

    Then I could just rerun this recorded macro when I wanted to open a text file
    (.txt--not .csv) of the same format.