Autofilter's drop down list goes missing

  1. #1
    Paul
    Guest

    Autofilter's drop down list goes missing

    I am using autofilter on a two excel work sheets.
    Randomly the drop down arrows locks up and will not display the drop
    down lists.
    If I uncheck autofilter and reselect the data then reselect autofilter
    it enables the drop down arrows again, although this does not always
    work, some times I have to close excel and open it again.
    The document was originally created in excel 2000 but the problem is
    occurring in excel 2003.
    I have been able recreate the problem on separate machines different
    hardware (Compaq and Dell), so I know the hardware is not the issue.
    Again the method of reproducing the error seems random, there does not
    seem to be any real steps to making the problem occur, it just happens.
    I have googled and searched the MS kbase, and have not come across this
    error.
    I was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem or knows a
    resolution to it.
    (And, no there are less then 1000 items in the list)

  2. #2
    Héctor Miguel
    Guest

    Re: Autofilter's drop down list goes missing

    hi, Paul !

    > ... using autofilter... Randomly the drop down arrows locks up and will not display
    > ... If I uncheck autofilter and reselect the data then reselect autofilter it enables the drop down arrows again
    > ... some times I have to close excel and open it again.
    > ... originally created in excel 2000 but the problem is occurring in excel 2003 [...]

    [just guessing]...
    if this only happens when you are in 2003, maybe (inadvertently) control+Q has been pressed
    you can possibly see a blue border surrounding the list (if this has not been removed)
    see if excel 2003 data/list feature applies to this behavior...
    http://www.uncc.edu/sysdev/HowTos/Excel/List.htm

    hth,
    hector.

  3. #3
    Paul
    Guest

    Re: Autofilter's drop down list goes missing

    Hi hector, I'm pretty sure that nothing is pressed, it's as though it
    just stops functioning.
    And I just tried it now, that's not it. Thanks for the suggestion
    though. I think this may be a bug within excel or maybe the worksheet
    is corrupted.

  4. #4
    mjhaifleigh
    Guest

    Autofilter's drop down list goes missing 2

    Still looking for the answer. (excel 2003)
    I have the same issue as Paul - for no apperant reason my autofilter drop
    downs just stop working ( a major inconvienance and time waste).

    Thank you Paul, I thought I was the only one.
    I'm suprised more aren't having this problem.

  5. #5

    Re: Autofilter's drop down list goes missing 2

    Have you been deleting names from your workbook indiscriminately?

    Maybe with code like this:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()
    Dim myName As Name
    For Each myName In ActiveWorkbook.Names
    myName.Delete
    Next myName
    End Sub

    If yes, then you could have deleted a hidden name created by excel.

    Maybe this'll help...

    Select your cells with the arrows -- just the header row is enough.

    Then Insert|name|Define
    in the names in workbook box, type this:

    'Sheet1'!_FilterDatabase

    (change sheet1 to match your worksheet name.)