MS EXCEL graphing

  1. #1
    rdp
    Guest

    MS EXCEL graphing

    I have a simple scatter plot containing approx 1 weeks worth of minutely wind
    speed data (>10,000 points). (Y-axis is the magnitude of the wind, x-axis is
    the time in minutes for the entire data set) Is there a utility which allows
    me to zoom in on the time axis (x-axis) and then scroll along the entire axis
    to see all the data. Currently, I have to continue to manually enter the
    "minimum" and "maximum" values on the "format axis" screen to go through the
    data bit by bit. The problem is that when the complete week is plotted in
    one window, the details are not easy to see, where as by "zooming" in at the
    data all the detailed wind values can be seen. I essentially would like to
    scroll along viewing the details for the complete data set.

    This would be a useful tool for all my data analysis.

    From an experienced MS EXCEL user!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)
    Guest

    Re: MS EXCEL graphing

    rdp wrote:

    >I have a simple scatter plot containing approx 1 weeks worth of minutely wind
    >speed data (>10,000 points). (Y-axis is the magnitude of the wind, x-axis is
    >the time in minutes for the entire data set) Is there a utility which allows
    >me to zoom in on the time axis (x-axis) and then scroll along the entire axis
    >to see all the data. Currently, I have to continue to manually enter the
    >"minimum" and "maximum" values on the "format axis" screen to go through the
    >data bit by bit. The problem is that when the complete week is plotted in
    >one window, the details are not easy to see, where as by "zooming" in at the
    >data all the detailed wind values can be seen. I essentially would like to
    >scroll along viewing the details for the complete data set.
    >
    >This would be a useful tool for all my data analysis.
    >
    >From an experienced MS EXCEL user!
    >
    >Thanks

    ---------------------

    I don't know the direct answer to your question. However what I
    sometimes do when faced with a desire to zoom is to just drag the edge
    of the graph to resize it to the right waaaay off screen. You can make
    the graph 20 times wider than the screen if you want. Then you just use
    the normal slider bar at the bottom of the worksheet window to move left
    and right through the chart. A poor man's zoom function.

    I presume the same trick works in the vertical axis, though I've never
    had occasion to try it that way.

    Good luck....

    Bill

  3. #3
    AlfD
    Guest

    Re: MS EXCEL graphing

    Hi!

    Yes, there is. It's called Funchart7, I think, and is downloadable from
    Stephen Bullen's site www.bmsltd.ie/Excel

    Alf

  4. #4

    AlfD wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >Yes, there is. It's called Funchart7, I think, and is downloadable from
    >Stephen Bullen's site www.bmsltd.ie/Excel
    >
    >Alf

    Verrrry interesting! A nice trick. Thanks for the pointer.

    Bill