Sorting order - text and numbers

  1. #1
    jmt
    Guest

    Sorting order - text and numbers

    I have an inventory sheet where items are listed as: BE-01, BE-02..., PE-01,
    PE-02... etc. When I add new items I indicate a preliminary inventory as
    (ie) BE- in the inventory number column. When I am done I may have several
    items that have BE- in the inventory number column. When I sort the
    worksheet, all the BE- items end up together, but they sort before BE-01,
    BE-02... I want them to sort at the end of the BE group so I can assign an
    inventory number by dragging the cursor to continue the series. How can I do
    that?

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Sorting order - text and numbers

    Why not let them just sort to where they will as you will have to sort them
    again afterwards.

    Use Conditional Formatting to Identify the incomplete ones.
    I think you could use a formula like

    =AND(Len(a1)>1,len(a1)<4)

    More on Conditional Formatting on
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm

    another possibility would be to use Filter
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Sorting order - text and numbers

    Instead of labeling new entries
    BE-
    Try using
    BE-9999

    That'll sure put them at the, wouldn't it ?

    And of course, dragging down at least the last 2 old entries will overwrite
    the 9999.
    --
    HTH,

    RD