Frequency distribution

  1. #1
    Ms MIS
    Guest

    Frequency distribution

    I have a worksheet with two columns of data

    Column A has contains a reference code, d1, d2, d3....and so on to d6
    however, this code can occur more than once.
    Column B has a random number against the reference codes (could be anything
    between 1 -100) e.g.

    d1 5
    d2 7
    d1 10
    d3 1
    d1 5
    d5 6
    d4 20
    d4 5
    d6 15
    d5 6
    d1 10

    I would like to calculate the number of occurances of each reference code
    with each number, i.e. the number of d1's with number 5 = 2, the number of
    d1's with 10 = 1.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    galimi
    Guest

    RE: Frequency distribution

    Place the following formula in an adjacent cell, substituting the ranges to
    match yours

    =COUNT(IF(A18&B18=A18:A23&B18:B23,B18:B23,""))

    A18 represents the adjacent reference code, b18 represents the adjacent
    number. a18:a23 is the full range of reference codes, which you should enter
    in absolute format, whilst b18:b23 is the range of numbers which also should
    be entered in absolute format. Finally, this formula needs to be entered as
    an array, meaning, press cntrl-shift-enter after typing it in.

    http://HelpExcel.com