deleting duplicate records in a mail merge

  1. #1
    Mimi
    Guest

    deleting duplicate records in a mail merge

    I am trying to create mailing labels from an Excel worksheet that includes
    duplicate records. There is a record connected to every item an individual is
    responsible for. So, one person with 6 items would produce 6 separate mailing
    labels to the same address. How do I filter out these duplicate records in
    order to print only 1 label per address?

  2. #2
    Sunil Jayakumar
    Guest

    Re: deleting duplicate records in a mail merge

    Hi Mimi,

    I'm assuming that each of the duplicates is an exact duplicate - i.e.
    contains exactly the same data.

    1) Copy the list of names into a new sheet (We'll use this a primary
    identifier)
    2) Data>Filter>Advanced Filter - select the entrie list of names, select
    "copy to a new location", and tick the "unique values only" checkbox.
    3) Copy this list into a new sheet.
    4) In column B, Type in =Vlookup(A2, Sheet1!$A$2:$D$64, 2, 0)
    5) In column C, Type in =Vlookup(A2, Sheet1!$A$2:$D$64, 3, 0)
    and so on (replace the Sheet1!$A$2:$D$64 with the correct range reference).
    6) copy these formulae down.

    You shold now have a complete list of all the uniques. Copy this list into
    another workbook (paste special > values) and save it.

    Hope this helps

    Sunil Jayakumar

    news:[email protected]...

    www.ayyoo.com/loans.html