Too many different cell formats

  1. #1
    Craig
    Guest

    Too many different cell formats

    I am running into the error message:

    Too many different cell formats

    Is there a solution to lowering the number of formats I
    am using? Just trying to change them to make some
    consistent gives me the same error message.

    I tried running the search on the forums on my topic but
    they have been disabled for a Microsoft upgrade.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Too many different cell formats

    One idea -

    Rob Bovey's excellent Utilities add-in will list all the formats in use in
    your workbook, allowing you to manually delete what isn't being used.

    http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ExcelUtilities.htm

    You can also see the source code for the add-in, and could probably modify
    it to delete the unused formats

  3. #3
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Too many different cell formats

    Rob's utility deals with number formats. The larger issue in the "too many
    different cell formats" problem has little or nothing to do with unused
    number formats. It has to do with having too many combinations of
    formatting elements actually in use.

    Or to quote from MSKB 213904:

    "This problem occurs when the workbook contains more than approximately
    4,000 different combinations of cell formats. A combination is defined as a
    unique set of formatting elements that are applied to a cell. A combination
    includes all font formatting (for example: typeface, font size, italic,
    bold, and underline), borders (for example: location, weight, and color),
    cell patterns, number formatting, alignment, and cell protection."

    I call each of the combinations referred to in the quote a "style". A
    "named style" (that appears in the Format, Style list) is a subset of the
    total "styles". In your typical large workbook, with lots of formatting,
    the named styles are just a fraction of the number of total styles.

    So, again, it's not unused number formats, but total "styles" used that is
    the problem in "too many different cell formats". I don't think there is a
    good answer to this problem. I guess that's why MS's solution is to "use
    less formatting".<g>

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Too many different cell formats

    Some people have used OpenOffice to open the workbook, clean up some of the
    formats, save it as a new name. Then excel can work with it better.

    http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

  5. #5
    Matthew B.
    Guest

    RE: Too many different cell formats

    Craig,

    Check out www.quarrell.demon.co.uk/QAid/. Peter is an intelligent guy who
    has developed a great little program that will list all of the format
    combinations. It has a price tag but it's worth it if you are in a jam.

    Matthew