Combo box - need idiots guide!

  1. #1
    abfabrob
    Guest

    Combo box - need idiots guide!

    I want to use a combo box as a drop down list. I know where to find the combo
    box (in the control toolbox), but I have no idea how to populate it or
    activate it...

    Any help will be appriciated for this real novice

    Rob.

  2. #2
    2 things you need to know:

    rowsource - the data that will populate it.

    controlsource - the cell that it relates to on your sheet.

    For rowsource make a column of entries on a new sheet and enter in the rowsource property where these entries are. Eg: Sheet2!A1:A10

    Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    Anthony Slater
    Guest

    RE: Combo box - need idiots guide!

    Assuming you want a combo box in sheet 1:

    Make a list in sheet, lets say A1:A5. Name this list "mylist'

    Draw your combo box in sheet one.
    Right click on it and choose format control. the input range would be =mylist
    the cell link will be anywhere you want (such as C10)

    Depending on what you choose from the drop down, C10 will change accordingly.

    HTH

    For more help, check out contextures.com

  4. #4
    abfabrob
    Guest

    RE: Combo box - need idiots guide!

    I'm sorry, I really don't understand. Can you explain in more detail? I'm
    really new to this. I don't know what you mean by naming the list (where/how
    do I name it?). When I right click on the Combo box and go to format control,
    I don't know where to input anything. And do I OLNY input "=mylist"? And
    where do I input the fact that I want it to be in cell C10? (or whichever I
    decide to use).

    Hope you can help!

  5. #5
    Anthony Slater
    Guest

    RE: Combo box - need idiots guide!

    Ok, lets make it simpler

    1. Fill sheet 1 A1:A5 with some data such as Apple, banana, pear, orange,
    lemon
    2. Draw combo box somewhere on sheet 1
    3. right click on combox
    4. format control
    5. Input range will be A1:A5
    6. Cell link will A10

    Thats it.

    When you click on the drop down, the list will show. Click on an item in the
    list will change the value accordingly in cel A10

    You can then use the value in cell A10 in another formula depending on what
    you really need from the out come. Such as IF(a10=1,"APPLE","ANOTHER KIND OF
    FRUIT")

    Don't forget to check contextures.com for more help

  6. #6
    abfabrob
    Guest

    RE: Combo box - need idiots guide!

    Thank you for this.

    However... when I click on format control, there is no where to input the
    cell range.

    My options are: "size", "protection", "properties" and "web".

    Rob

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Combo box - need idiots guide!

    On the Control toolbox, click the Design mode button
    Select the combo box
    On the Control toolbox, click the Properties button
    In the Properties window, for ListFillRange, type the name, or cell
    references, of your input range.
    Click the Exit Design Mode button.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  8. #8
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: Combo box - need idiots guide!

    that's really useful thing to use the combo box, but here I have the question
    regarding it:

    I am using Combo-Box and when I click on the button to choose the data it
    appears to the linked cell as it should be everything works fine, but I need
    to see the data in the linked cell but not hte count number.

    For example, I have 10 different numbers in A1:a10 range and my linked cell
    is C10, i want that when I click on the second one there must be a second
    number in the linked cell and not the 2, Is it possible?

    Hope you understand the task.

    I would be really appreciate for your help.

    Thank you in advance
    Regards
    Alex

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Combo box - need idiots guide!

    If you use the combo box from the Control tool box, it will display the
    selected value in the linked cell.

    If you use the combo box from the Forms toolbar, it will display the
    item number in the linked cell.

  10. #10
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: Combo box - need idiots guide!

    Dear Debra,

    Thank you for you kind and timely support I really appreciate for your help.
    All i have to do now is to define the list range and link cell in the
    properties of the Combo Box.

    Once Again Thank You