Highlighting duplicate values in a column

  1. #1
    Jeff
    Guest

    Highlighting duplicate values in a column

    Our department is involved in project managing office moves. The
    moving department is given an excel 2002 spreadsheet and they fill out
    the names of the people moving (column A) along with their extension
    number (column B). I would like it to pop up a message if an
    extension number is entered and is a duplicate of one already entered,
    giving the person's name it's duplicated with.

    Any help would be gratefully received

    TIA

  2. #2
    As a rough and ready solution I would use Col C and have the equation in C6 for example (assuming data runs from row 2)...

    =If(countif(B$1:B5,B6)>0,"Duplicate","")

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting duplicate values in a column

    Rather than pop up a message, how about if you set the conditional
    formatting for the cells in column B to highlight if a duplicate
    extension is entered?

    Set conditional formatting to "formula is" and use this formula
    (altered, of course, to fit your data):
    =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$17,B2)>1

    Then set it to highlight in red or yellow to indicate a duplicate.

  4. #4
    Jeff

    [email protected] (Jeff) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Our department is involved in project managing office moves. The
    > moving department is given an excel 2002 spreadsheet and they fill out
    > the names of the people moving (column A) along with their extension
    > number (column B). I would like it to pop up a message if an
    > extension number is entered and is a duplicate of one already entered,
    > giving the person's name it's duplicated with.
    >
    > Any help would be gratefully received
    >
    > TIA

    Ignore this, I've managed to use the validate function