Duplicate Problem

  1. #1
    Al
    Guest

    Duplicate Problem

    I inherit an excel spreadsheet which contains the course schedule for a
    college. It contains fields like course number, subject, section number,
    days, times, room, instructor and credits. There is a unique number
    assigned to each course offered. However, it sometimes happens that a given
    course might have the same number listed more than once. For example, if the
    class meets accross two rooms, it would be listed twice, yet have the same
    course number. Or a course might have one listing for a lecture period and
    another for a lab, and since it is the same course, it has the same course
    number. However, the awkward part is that the credits assigned to each
    course are tied to the course number, so when the course nunber is repeated,
    as in the above examples, the credits are repeated, and this creates errors.
    Using the example above: I have a biology class whose total credits is 4.
    But when the lecture is listed, it shows 4 credits and when the lab is
    listed, it shows 4 credits - because credits are tied to that class number.

    What I need is some way to suppress the credits when the course number is
    repeated. I don't know if this might be done with a query, if...then, or
    report or filter or macro. As I say, I inherit the spreadsheet, so I can't
    change that design. And it is updated periodically, so I don't want to make
    lots of manual corrections each time it is updated. I am not a programmer,
    so please couch any responses accordingly. Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Duplicate Problem

    You could add a column to the table, and calculate the credits. For
    example, with course number in column A, and credits in column E, enter
    the following formula in row 2, and copy down to the last row of data:

    =IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A2,A2)=1,E2,0)

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List