searching for multiple text strings

  1. #1
    eddie
    Guest

    searching for multiple text strings

    How do you search for multiple words in any given cell. The order of the
    words being searched does not matter.

    i.e. If I am looking for the words 'brake' and 'clutch':

    1 "John's Brake and Clutch"
    2 "Jerry's Clutch Repair"
    3 "Impact Clutch/Brake"
    4 "Brakes and Clutches r Us"

    If want the search to work for 1, 3, and 4. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: searching for multiple text strings

    Use this formula assuming that the text is on cell A1
    =--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("clutch",A1))+(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("brake",a1)))
    all values = 2 is your answer

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: searching for multiple text strings

    With entries in col. A, you could tag the entries in
    column B using:

    =IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A1,{"*brake*","*clutch*"}))=2,"b/c","")

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4