Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?

  1. #1
    Jugglertwo
    Guest

    Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?

    A student came up with a question that I haven't been able
    to figure out yet in a recent Excel class.
    They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in
    the correct manner. They want to allow some users to
    access and enter information in some cells. They do not
    want the users to be able to copy and paste the
    information from the hidden column. The question is how
    can this be prevented?
    For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range
    such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are
    getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
    Thanks!
    Jugglertwo

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?

    > For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range
    > such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are
    > getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10.

    If after selecting A1:C10, you press F5 > Special > Visible cells only > OK
    and then do the copy > paste, only the visible cells get copied/pasted
    (the hidden B1:B10 won't be appear in the paste)

    But why not just cut col B and paste it in a safe, far away col to the
    right, say in col X, and then hide col X ? This might be a simpler way to do
    it ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?

    And just to add to Max's "move the column elsewhere" suggestion...

    Make sure you tell the students that excel's protection of worksheets and
    workbooks (under tools|Protect) is easily broken. It shouldn't be use to keep
    private information private.

    It's really meant to keep users from making simple mistakes (overwriting
    formulas/values that shouldn't change).