Alphabetizing a list in Excel

  1. #1
    chamaman
    Guest

    Alphabetizing a list in Excel

    I am making a list of all my DVD's, Cd's and etc. I want to be able to
    type in the following information in a non Alphabetized order and have
    Excel automatically put the list in Alphabetical order. Then as I ad
    items to the list it will automatically put them in Alphabetical order.
    Is this possible? Do I have to use 1 cell or 3 cells?
    Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.
    DVD name Type of Movie Actors
    DVD name Type of Movie Actors
    DVD name Type of Movie Actors
    Thanks,
    Chamaman

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetizing a list in Excel

    Use 3 columns.

    Column A = DVD Name.......The Bridges of Madison County

    Column B = Type of Movie.......Romance

    Column C = Actors.........Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep.

    Enter your data then select all columns and sort by DVD column in Ascending
    order.

    This is not "automatic" but comes pretty close.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetizing a list in Excel

    You can have it automatic with a change event macro, but it
    would drive you crazy with the row being moved immediately.

    If you still want an automatic sort you might choose an event
    macro to sort when activating the worksheet which would not
    be as interfering. Not really recommended but if sorting has
    to be done it would be one way, as long as your report is
    done from this worksheet.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...g.htm#activate
    There is also a double-click macro to invoke the worksheet
    activate macro if you just made changes and you want to sort.
    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    chamaman
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetizing a list in Excel

    Thanks so much. I appreciate your suggestions. I've found that typing
    everything and then Alphabetizing when I'm finished works the best for
    me. Thanks again.
    Chamaman