Date functions-first Friday or even the last Tuesday?

  1. #1
    Dale
    Guest

    Date functions-first Friday or even the last Tuesday?

    Hi, fairly new to spreadsheets but I keep trying. Any idea how to insert
    the first Friday of a month into columns? I know the (today) and (date)
    functions but what if I wanted a specific day of the month. Like the first
    Friday or even the last Tuesday? Thanks
    Dale

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    re: Date functions-first Friday or even the last Tuesday?

    Take a look at

    http://cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm#FirstWeekday

    and

    http://cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeVBA.htm#Ndow

  3. #3
    Martin P
    Guest

    re: Date functions-first Friday or even the last Tuesday?

    Start with the first day of the month in column A. Let's say you have
    =date(2005,4,1) in cell A18. In cell B18 enter =weekday(A18). In cell C18
    enter =6-B18.
    In cell D18 enter =A18+B18, which gives you the first Friday of April 2005.

    The procedure for the last Tuesday of every month is similar, but take the
    last day of the month, and subtract from 3 instead of 6.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:29:19 GMT, "Dale" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, fairly new to spreadsheets but I keep trying. Any idea how to insert
    >the first Friday of a month into columns? I know the (today) and (date)
    >functions but what if I wanted a specific day of the month. Like the first
    >Friday or even the last Tuesday? Thanks
    >Dale

    I'm not sure exactly what you want to set up.

    The first Friday of any particular month is given by the formula:

    =DATE(yr,month,8)-WEEKDAY(DATE(yr,month,9))

    To compute subsequent first Fridays, assuming the above formula is in B1, use
    the formula:

    =B1+28+7*(MONTH(B1+28)=MONTH(B1))

    If you want the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Friday, add 7,14 or 21 to the formula in B1,
    and use this formula for subsequent months:

    =B1+28+7*(DAY(B1-DAY(B1)+35)<WEEKDAY(B1-DAY(B1)-5))

    The above are adapted from formulas by Daniel M.
    --ron

  5. #5
    Dale
    Guest

    re: Date functions-first Friday or even the last Tuesday?

    Thx, just what I was looking for.
    Dale

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Martin P
    Guest

    re: Date functions-first Friday or even the last Tuesday?

    Correction.

    For my method, another column is needed:

    In E18: =D18+7*(MONTH(D18)<>MONTH(A18))