Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

  1. #1
    jwr
    Guest

    Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    I have posted this previously in excel.links without an answer. I am at a
    standstill now. Your assistance is appreciated.

    I have an access database. In this database, I have several forms and
    reports that need to be sent via email to other individuals. They need to
    enter info into several locations and then return via email to me.

    If I export the form/report to excel, the format is lost. Is it possible to
    create a form/report in excel, import the info from my access database, and
    then email to another location without losing the info and also allowing
    that individual to enter info into specific cells?

    Thanking you in advance.

  2. #2
    Sunil Jayakumar
    Guest

    Re: Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    Hi,

    I think the best way wold be to actually build the template in Excel, and
    access a query in the Access database.

    You can pass parameters back into access when running the query, and
    emailing out he sheet will simply "break" the link to Access, so people will
    be able to view/edit numbers.

    Hope this helps

    Sunil Jayakumar

    news:Vqj6e.49826$f%[email protected]...

    www.ayyoo.com/credit-cards.html

  3. #3
    jwr
    Guest

    Re: Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    That is exactly what I want to do -- I don't know how!
    Can you assist or direct me to a website for information?

    Thank you,
    jwr
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Sunil Jayakumar
    Guest

    Re: Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    Hi,

    Easy way: Open MS Query directly - usually in your C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Office\Office or Office11 Folder, file name MSQRY32.EXE.

    File>Table Definition, select your database, and set your query - you can
    also type in SQL directly. You can then go File>Save As... and save as a
    *.dqy or *.qry file. Store these somewhere you can find them.

    Back in Excel, Data>Import External Data>Import Data, and navigate to the
    query. This should then prompt you for any parameters set up (these work
    differently for different database, but a "?" in the SQL will generate the
    prompt - even if you ahven't used SQL, go into the code, and replace any
    parameters you want to be "live" with a "?")

    This should now work ok - I'll monitor this thread, but don't expect
    immediate replies

  5. #5
    jwr
    Guest

    Re: Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    Thank you so much.

    I have managed to create the information from the access into an MS Query.
    Now -- I want this information to be placed into certain fields on a
    template that I will create in excel.

    How do I create the template and have the information input in the correct
    location?

    Thanks in advance

    news:e%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Sunil Jayakumar
    Guest

    Re: Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    Hi,

    This is a mail merge type of operation....

    What you will need is 2 sheet - one with the data fields on it, and the
    other with the form/template you propose to populate. You will need a unique
    identifier, so your table knows which row to pick up to populate the form.
    You should not be able to get multiple data rows for the form.

    Then, just use a VLOOKUP to pull the data back, based on your unique
    identifier.

    www.ayyoo.com/loans.html

  7. #7
    jwr
    Guest

    Re: Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    I have created an MS Query and an excel template. The MS Query is saved as
    the second sheet. I selected a column first and then tried just one cell --
    I clicked on the data, went to data, filter, advanced filter, copy to - went
    to sheet one and selected the cell. Then checked Unique records only. I
    get the error that I can only use filtered data.

    What am I doing wrong?

    JR

  8. #8
    Sunil Jayakumar
    Guest

    Re: Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    Hi,

    The "copy to" on the advanced filter only works if you reference the same
    sheet. There's no reason for it not to, but it just doesn't work.

    If you try to copy it to another location on the same sheet, it will work.

    www.ayyoo.com/mortgages.html

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Creating forms in Excel to Import access data ! Please reply

    You can filter the results to a different sheet, if you start on the
    destination sheet. There are instructions here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List