Reoccurring Edit Links Error

  1. #1
    Spyder
    Guest

    Reoccurring Edit Links Error

    I have built a workbook that has links to a worksheet in another workbook in
    the same folder. Recently, every time I update my links, I receive a pop up
    that states: "This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be
    updated." However, when I click on "Edit Links", I only have links to one
    source worksheet (the worksheet previously mentioned) with Status being OK.
    Since status is OK I do not know why I continually receive this error. I
    have checked all buttons and names and they do not appear to have links to
    other sources.

    Does anyone know why this message is continually appearing? Is it possible
    to turn this message off?

    Thanks for any direction!
    Jeff

  2. #2

    Re: Reoccurring Edit Links Error

    Bill Manville's FindLink addin may help you find the hard to find links:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

  3. #3
    KCMO

    Talking Link Utility

    Thank you so much for that tip! I was pullling my hair out all morning and that utility totally fixed my problem. I had added a worksheet to my workbook and linked it to another workbook. When I removed the sheet, my original file insisted that it find some Register.Dlink from the other workbook and absolutely would not go away--until now. Awesome!

    Jean

  4. #4
    Spyder
    Guest

    Re: Reoccurring Edit Links Error

    Thanks Dave, I have used FindLink, but it has not helped me with this issue.
    I still get the pop-up message. Is there anyway to turn off the "Edit Links"
    message?

  5. #5

    Re: Reoccurring Edit Links Error

    If you answer no to the "do you want to update links" question, do you still get
    that message?

  6. #6

    Re: Reoccurring Edit Links Error

    I've never seen Bill Manville's program fail to find the link. So I'm not sure
    what the answer will be.

  7. #7
    Spyder
    Guest

    Re: Reoccurring Edit Links Error

    Unfortuantely, we will have to update the links when the workbook is open to
    pull the most current information. I agree with you on Bill's program. It
    is very likely that the program is finding all of the links, but for some
    reason Excel "thinks" one of the links is broken, and sends up the "Edit
    Links" error message every time even though status always = OK. That is why,
    if possible, I am wondering if there is any way to turn off that "Edit Links"
    pop-up? OR if there are other reasons an OK link will pop-up the "Edit
    Links" message, maybe I should look into those.

    Thanks for any direction!

  8. #8

    Re: Reoccurring Edit Links Error

    Not that I know.