Automatic update of information in a spreadsheet

  1. #1
    aolo7276
    Guest

    Automatic update of information in a spreadsheet

    Hi,
    I am using Microsoft Excel 2000. I have just done a spreadsheet which
    contains information about patients. In one worksheet I have the raw data and
    then in others I have copied columns across and then used IF(AND) statements
    to abstract the information I need, e.g. to work out how many males there are
    in each of the hospitals. What I need to know is how do I set it up so that
    when a new entry is added to the raw data, i.e. another patient in a new row,
    it automatically updates the information in the other worksheets? What is
    happening at the moment is when I add another row the IF statements only work
    up to the cell that I put the formula in, so I have to go through every
    worksheet and drag down the formula into the new cells in every column, which
    takes a lot of time. Can you please help me?

  2. #2

    Re: Automatic update of information in a spreadsheet

    Excel doesn't push data to other worksheets very well, but it can pull data very
    nicely (with =sheet1!a1 type formulas).

    But it kind of sounds like you're doing summary statistics based on information
    in your main data table.

    I find it much easier to keep all my data together on one sheet and then
    manipulate that the way I want.

    You may want to look into pivottables based on dynamic ranges.

    For information about dynamic ranges, visit Debra Dalgleish's site:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic
    (the range the name refers to can expand/contract whenever you add/delete an
    entry)

    And for pivottables:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx