Automaticaly put in the / in a date field

  1. #1
    Keith
    Guest

    Automaticaly put in the / in a date field

    I want my users to input a date in the format dd/mm/yy

    I know some of them will mis out the separators and enter for example
    140301 for the 14th March 2001, but Excel changes the date to something
    totally different.

    How can I create a mask (like in Access) so the separators are already
    displayed in the cell? For example the cell would look like / / and
    when the date is input it automatically jumps over the separator.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    You can't quite put a format mask into Excel like you can with Access, but you can put data validation in.

    If you select Tools Data Validation and select date from the allow drop down, you can then set restrictions on what the earliest and the latest dates are allowed.

    The other tabs on the Data Validation allow you to put an input message up, so that a message is displayed when the cell is selected and an error messagfe is displayed when an error occurs.

  3. #3

    Re: Automaticaly put in the / in a date field

    You could use a worksheet event that changes the entry to a date. Chip Pearson
    has some code at:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm