how do i find out what is uncommon in column list A1: A10 and B1:.

  1. #1
    vikasarora07
    Guest

    how do i find out what is uncommon in column list A1: A10 and B1:.

    i want to compare data in list 1 in column A with list 2 in column B and make
    a column C which shows data which is not in A

    A B C
    apple apple cat
    cat ball rubber
    ball dog
    rubber
    dog

  2. #2
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    RE: how do i find out what is uncommon in column list A1: A10 and B1:.

    Hi, Vik,

    Here's some code I put together that scans two lists and shows you all the
    items that are list in list 1, all the items thar are just in list 2 and the
    items that appear in both.

    See if it's of any use to you

    Sub ListCompare()
    Dim CompSheet As Worksheet
    Dim List1, List2 As Object
    Dim List1Item, List2Item As Object
    Dim List1Header, List2Header, ListBothHeader As Object
    Dim Flag As Boolean

    'In my example, List1 is E3:E32 and List2 is I3:I32
    'I make sure that there is a blank column to the left of List1Header,
    and blank
    'columns between List1Header and List2Header, and between List2Header
    and ListBothHeader.
    'Finally, make sure there is a blank column to the right of
    ListBothHeader.
    'This ensures that all the "CurrentRegion" referenece work correctly.
    'In my example, List1Header is a label in L2, List2Header is a label in
    N2 and
    'ListBothHeader is a label in P2. Columns K, M, O and Q must NOT contain
    any entries.

    Set CompSheet = Worksheets("Compare Lists")
    Set List1 = CompSheet.Range("List1")
    Set List2 = CompSheet.Range("List2")
    Set List1Header = CompSheet.Range("List1Header")
    Set List2Header = CompSheet.Range("List2Header")
    Set ListBothHeader = CompSheet.Range("ListBothHeader")

    'Clear List1 only entries from last run of macro
    If List1Header.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count > 1 Then
    List1Header.Offset(1, 0).Resize(List1Header.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
    - 1).ClearContents
    End If
    'Clear List2 only entries from last run of macro
    If List2Header.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count > 1 Then
    List2Header.Offset(1, 0).Resize(List2Header.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
    - 1).ClearContents
    End If
    'Clear ListBoth entries from last run of macro
    If ListBothHeader.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count > 1 Then
    ListBothHeader.Offset(1,
    0).Resize(ListBothHeader.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count - 1).ClearContents
    End If

    'Check which items are only in list 1 and not in List 2
    For Each List1Item In List1
    Flag = False
    For Each List2Item In List2
    If List2Item.Value = List1Item.Value Then
    Flag = True
    End If
    Next
    If Flag = False Then
    'MsgBox (List1Item.Value & " is only in List 1!")
    List1Header.Offset(List1Header.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count,
    0).Value = List1Item.Value
    Else
    'MsgBox (List1Item.Value & " is in both Lists!")
    ListBothHeader.Offset(ListBothHeader.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count,
    0).Value = List1Item.Value
    End If
    Next

    'Check which items are only in list 2 and not in List 1
    For Each List2Item In List2
    Flag = False
    For Each List1Item In List1
    If List1Item.Value = List2Item.Value Then
    Flag = True
    End If
    Next
    If Flag = False Then
    'MsgBox (List2Item.Value & " is only in List 2!")
    List2Header.Offset(List2Header.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count,
    0).Value = List2Item.Value
    Else ' included only for completeness - you already did this in the
    previous loop!
    'MsgBox (List2Item.Value & " is in both Lists!")
    'ListBothHeader.Offset(ListBothHeader.CurrentRegion.Rows.Count,
    0).Value = List2Item.Value
    End If
    Next
    End Sub